Monday, November 30, 2015

Scratch Game Design


         Scratch, a website to make games with code, is a website our class has been working in for the past week. The game we have been making is called "Chase". The idea of the project is to make a character automatically controlled, chase another character controlled by you. User experience influenced my game in many ways. With people playing the game, they gave their opinion and the opinions they gave were helpful things to improve on, or at least something I could do better next time.

            In both of my games, each one has a special feature for it to stand out. In my 1st game,  "Chase", I made it so the larger the shark, the more points lost if they managed to touch you. In order to balance that, the larger the shark, the slower they were. I made this since everyone else's game seemed so basic. I wanted my game to stand out more than other peoples. In my second game, I made a special feature that included a bar moving up and down. If your character hit that bar, you would restart. I incorporated this for a challenging game that you actually want to try again if you lose.

       

 In my opinion, my best code was the coding of the actual sprite in my platformer game. There was many different colors I had to include that if the sprite touched, the game would restart. The movement of that sprite though isn't perfect, it rolls in a slightly odd direction. The most difficult bug fix though, was figuring out how to make it so the portal says a different message after each time. I finally fixed it, by using a slightly different portal sprite and that sprite makes it says a different message after you touch that specific one.

10 comments:

  1. I like how smooth the crab moves
    I think the sharks move a little bit too fast
    Good job overall! Even though I bombed this game with a -73 score :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on making the game challenging!
    I don't think it really ends though...
    I like the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that there are three sharks and not just one, making it a little harder. Maybe you could make a timer and a score together to make a good end and winning or losing place. Overall amazing job! I love how the crab is moving smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The movement is smooth and you could put a time delay at the beginning to make the sharks do not immediatlly eat you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good, fast paced game.
    The noise the sharks make are ear-numbing.
    Good balance of difficulty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice sea animals and nice sea background but the sharks move too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tyler! Great Platform game! One thing that I really enjoyed about your game was how intricate all the platforms were. It made the game challenging but not impossible to beat. On thing that I saw in the game that that could be improved is how if you fall off of the second or third platform, your ball doesn't go back to the start but instead vanishes (here's a good link on how to fix that http://wiki.scratch.mit.edu/wiki/Wall_Sensors). Another thing that I liked was how smoothly the ball jumped. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tyler, I really like how challenging the game was! I think that it made it fun. One thing I would work on is maybe the jumping. I felt like it could've had more of a gravity engine. Another thing I really liked was how smoothly the platforms move and the pace they move at, Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great chase game. I like the sprites you picked it fits the theme of the game perfect. However, i would change the speed of the sharks so the players have a chance of winning. Overall, wonderful game.

    ReplyDelete